Monday, March 22, 2010

Day One: This is spring right?


Morning Temperature: 31 F
Start Time: 7:10am
Arrival Time: 8:02am
Sidewalk conditions: icy with snow patches
Weapon of choice: Bicycle
Music: Anathallo, Canopy Glow
Miles: 9

Well, I am off to a good start...I made it to work! I am supposed to be there at 7:55 so I was a little late. This made for a grand entrance when I came rollin in during the morning meeting. More info about the ride coming soon, must get back to work...

Afternoon Tempature: 56 F
Start Time: 5:02pm
Arrival Time: 5:50pm
Sidewalk conditions: Melted and wet
Weapon of choice: Bicycle
Music: Anathallo, Floating World
Miles: 9
Total Miles for the day: 20 (I attempted going to something else after work)

I made it back from my first day of riding my bike to work and I am completely exhausted. I truly underestimated the elements when riding today. I cut my leg on some ice along the way and my back was completely covered in mud, sweat, and pride. Luckily I packed my work clothes in my pack so I could change for work. The entire day was filled with many co-workers asking about why I was doing this. Some of the best quotes of the day were:

"You rode your bike how far? Why would you want to do that?"

"You are just riding your bike everywhere for one whole month...you are going to lose a whole lot of weight."

Some other good moments were when the guy sitting next to me just started laughing around lunchtime and I asked why and he just said, "You are crazy man!" One woman wants to know what I am going to do about cleaning up after I get to work. Today she saw me take off my helmet and though the sweat on my head was disgusting. I hope she lasts the entire thirty days working with me!

Oklahoma wind sucks and it made my bike ride much longer then I wanted it to be. I also missed out on the young married group that Ashley and I attend because I was so tired from the two rides of the day. I look forward to the challenge of tomorrow and now that the ice melted it should be much smoother. Not sure if I am going to continue with the bike but as of right now it makes the most sense.

Lesson Learned for the day is to never go to sleep at midnight when waking up the next day without a car. I fell asleep at my desk during lunch...

8 comments:

  1. Dude, way to stick it through. Grand entrance to wherever you work. Where do you work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually work at a truck driving company called Link America. I get paid to talk to truckers all day

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love this idea. Have you read Divorce Your Car? (i haven't)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i don't know you but you have taken this 30 day committment to a whole new level! way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. now THAT is awesome! I can possibly do 30 days WALKING to work every day now that I've moved...just a little over 1 mile...hmmm...i hope it doesn't rain and/or snow.......hmmm...let me think and see the facebook group before I make it my permanent decision. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jeremy that is a great idea...I am going to check that book out

    ReplyDelete