Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Can I survive without my car?

Ok so I know this sounds pathetic that I have chosen this idea. There are so many places around the world where people rely on public transportation, bicycles, or even simply there legs to get from point A to Point B. Here in America there are some places where the public transportation system is not the easiest to work with. If you own a car or know somebody that has one it is much easier to get around town then to have to take the bus.

Living overseas last year in China for 10 months taught me that I really do not need a car to survive, but simply a bike, my legs, and a bag to carry everything in. All I know is that since I have been back in America I have used my car every single day. I have gotten spoiled to say the least.

I love driving mainly because I can get to work in 15 minutes (minus traffic) and I can have some alone time to just listen to music and relax. I could honestly care less about driving fast, but I know the main thing I will miss is the convenience of it. I have given up bottled water so I know I can live for 30 days without my car.

Here is the plan: Starting on Monday, March 22 I will park my car for 30 days. I will also not drive my wife's car during this time. The only way I can get to work each day is by public transportation, by bicycle, or by walking. Regardless of the weather (it snowed today) I will accomplish the goal I am setting for myself. My blogrimage will end on April 20. Thank you to Pradeepan, Bibeau, and Joe for the inspiration to try something outside of my comfort zone.

I hope that this journey will help me to appreciate the car I have been blessed with, as well as appreciate those I see without cars every single day. I also sit at a desk for 8 hours a day, so this will help me stay active. I also want to make sure everyone is aware that I am not competing with Biker Fox since I live in Tulsa. This man is a living legend and will never have any competition from someone as lowly as myself.
I will keep everyone posted on a daily basis on my progress and I am excited to dive in starting tomorrow. I am taking my final drive with my car today as I return from an amazing trip to Norman where I enjoyed watching some basketball and hangin with Blayze.

7 comments:

  1. I'm excited to be with you on this journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great blogrimage! You are now the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! this is so cool! i can't wait to see how this goes for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude! good luck - Blake did this same thing in Tulsa for a month. It was hard, but really good. Best wishes and can't wait to see how it goes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am excited to see how this goes. I am glad to hear that someone else has survived this journey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rock on, that's exciting! Hmmmm...I "MAY" just go 30 days without something myself...we'll see! Ashley told me about this yesterday, still can't find her blog though...I know you can do it Taylor, you'll probably have some interesting stories too to say the least. :) Maybe I should visit within the next 30 days so we can ALL just walk places together and take scenic routes with the camera rather than driving. Miss you both!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rock on my friend! I'm excited to share the journey with you via Google Reader!

    ReplyDelete