Friday, March 26, 2010

Day 5: The Stationary Bicycle


Morning Temperature: 33 F
Weather Conditions: Windy
Music: John Mark McMillan

Afternoon Temperature: 63 F
Weather Conditions: Windier than this morning (25 mph)
No music, wind too loud

As I rode to work this morning, it felt good to know that the week was over. I am very tired today and left after 7am and all I wanted to do was lay in bed. The worst part about today was that it seemed like the wind was everywhere. Usually I will get wind either going to work or coming home, but today I got hit twice. In the morning the cold air stung and left my hands and legs frozen.

I made a side trip on the bike just a couple of miles during lunch to go pick up a book from the library. I now have in my possession a book called "Divorce Your Car!" Have not started it yet, but look forward to cracking it open tonight. One review featured on the book says, "For all of us who want to depend on the car less but find it easy to rationalize the status quo, this book is an inspiration." Here is to leaving the status quo!

Once again I witnessed more disrespect for the one biker on the sidewalks. Mainly in the form of cars blocking sidewalks (I am guilty of this when I drive) and once with a construction worker almost knocking me off my bike with a crane filled with dirt. Don't worry I gave the worker a dirty look...

Riding home today sucked. Plain and simple it was the hardest test I have had since starting this journey. I probably thought about my car every mile going home and it all had to do with the wind punching me in the face. I did not stop riding hard and so I gained the victory. I took so long getting home that I did get a call from the wife. I promise everyone that I will not die on this journey I will make sure to watch for all cars (this is for you mom).

Taylor 1 Wind 0

Inspirational award of the week will be going to my wife's Uncle Karl. Anytime I feel cold when riding my bike in the spring of Tulsa, I think of Karl because of what he rides in. He lives in Moorehead, MN (just east of Fargo). If any of you have seen the movie or know where Fargo is on a map of the U.S. you know it is cold. I mean frostbite on your entire body cold. This biker stud rode in -28 degrees this year where he made sure he did not leave the house without his studded snow tires! So if you still don't think you can ride when it is cold outside just remember Karl.

Lesson learned: People do not know what to do when they see a biker on the sidewalk next to them. Do they turn first, should they become angry with them? I would like to believe drivers like me...I have seen no evidence of this yet...

Random moment at work today is that my boss went to Hooters last night for all you can eat wings and ended up eating 101 wings. I wish I could have witnessed that...

3 comments:

  1. Do you ride on the sidewalk or on the road?

    ReplyDelete
  2. definitely on the side walk...but I still get dirty looks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once when I was driving I got T-boned by a biker.... He flipped onto my hood and then biked away quickly. It was a bummer... but I still like bikers! Bike on!

    ReplyDelete