Saturday, April 3, 2010

Day 13: Reclaiming the roads


There was a time when bicycles and pedestrians had the right of way. Well, times have changed and cars now rule supreme. As I have mentioned many times before, riding my bike to work confuses and angers many motorists. I do not ride on the road so it must be the pedestrian crosswalks that frustrate people the most. I guess cars have forgotten the purpose of these due to the lack of non-motorists using them. From all of my riding I have only shared the crosswalk with one other person! Maybe driving instructors are to blame for this lack of respect for pedestrians, but it probably has more to do with our sedentary lifestyles in America. Ashley has always been an advocate of reclaiming the roads from motorists and will bravely walk out when I sometimes hesitate. I have decided to hop on the bandwagon and start stepping out with confidence. One by one we must reclaim the roads for pedestrians!

Today has been a great day with perfect weather here in Kansas. We spent some time in downtown Overland Park where we were within walking distance. If you live within one or two miles from a downtown area it is a whole lot of fun to just walk there. You do not have to worry about parking and you can enjoy the surrounding areas. One of the biggest things I have been surprised with is how much more you take notice of life outside of a car. It is hard to enjoy what is happening around you moving at 30-45mph.

While, I am enjoying my time in Kansas, I miss my bike. I decided to run a few miles to stay active, but was struck with jealousy every time I passed a biker (they actually passed me). Following my run I showered and weighed in for my first time since starting this blogrimage.

Weight: 198
Body Fat: any suggestions on how to measure this? Let me know...

It looks like after a couple of weeks of biking and walking I have lost a couple of pounds. I am still eating the same amount of food (if not more), so I expect to lose more weight as I continue on.

No word from Biker Fox, I will have to find him when I return to Tulsa!

2 comments:

  1. Love being out-of-car. Even a motorcycle is so different - you can smell things as you drive by ... sense temperature changes, and hear all sorts of sounds. Much more alive for the senses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah I guess you are right anything out of car gets your senses pumping!

    ReplyDelete