Monday, March 14, 2011

Day 1: I hate kimchi


I live in Korea right now and enjoy all of the food except kimchi. It looks funky and smells the same way. Putting it in someones locker in America would be a new ultimate prank. Since the entire country eats this stuff at every meal, I figure I need to warm up to it. What better way to open my mind, mouth, and stomach then a blogrimage! For the next 30 days I have decided to live on a kimchi and rice diet for every meal. I will make sure to take photos and post interesting facts about kimchi and its health benefits. There are hundreds of varieties of kimchi available so I will make sure to mix it up. The main kimchi dish that I am confronted with every day at school is cabbage. I enjoyed my first bowl this morning, but it seems like the other foreign teachers did not feel the same way. The office smells pretty fermented (yes this is a smell). The smell almost made me not eat it, but I was able to put away 10 pieces of cabbage before returning the bowl to the cafeteria. I will have to slowly work up to eating an entire bowl of this stuff before the blogrimage is over.



After consulting many friends before taking on this project I have decided that kimchi and rice alone would not be wise. So the rough schedule will look something like this:
Week 1- kimchi and rice
Week-2 kimchi, rice, and a hard boiled egg
Week 3- kimchi, rice, and a hard boiled egg
Week 4- kimchi and rice

It starts with kimchi and it will end with kimchi!

Day 2 Preview: What is kimchi?

9 comments:

  1. I love this. BLOGRIMAGE is wisdom. Get rid of the egg!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the spirit with which you do things!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. not a fan of kimchi either...enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually saw a travel show that went to the places where they made kimchi. Interesting fermenting process! Is the kimchi spicy hot? The only kimchi I've had in the states has been too hot but I liked the flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Taylor you are one of a kind and I love it!

    ReplyDelete