Saturday, March 19, 2011

Days 4 and 5: A sad but necessary decision

After struggling through 4 1/2 days of what I would consider to be horrible I am throwing in the towel. And just to make sure no one will try and convince me to change my mind, I ate a hot dog at Costco today. Hopefully I can get my point across for why I have come to this conclusion.

Since moving to Korea, I have been working longer and harder than I have ever worked in my entire life. I thought I was coming to teach the English language to junior high and high school students at a private Christian school, but sadly I was mistaken. The school is still a Christian school but I was told that I would be teaching Social Studies (my major is advertising) and that one of the classes would be an AP one. I am by no means a history major or even a history buff so this has been difficult trying to prepare lessons. For the first semester I was teaching a world history class and an AP world history class for 83 minute periods, 5 times a week. I had to pull countless all-nighters preparing for class and it put a major strain on my priorities. On top of all of this I was also the Athletic Director of our school.

The winter semester was 7 weeks long and I taught a brand new class (comparative politics) for 143 minute periods, 5 days a week! Since I had two comparative politics courses to teach I had to stay focused on school and it once again became the top priority in my life. The spring semester started 2 weeks ago and I am now teaching a U.S. History course and an AP World History course. I am realizing now there are some major changes that I need in my life to get my priorities in line. I resigned as the athletic director and have decided to put this year's blogrimage on hold. I believe it is the right decision and even though I only lasted 4 1/2 days I learned alot about where I place food on that priority list. I am hoping that I begin to focus on the important aspects of my life before things spiral out of control.

Without getting too personal I want to ask for some prayer as I finish off my 2 years here in Korea. Pray that I might understand the love of God. Pray that my marriage would prosper. Pray that I would have a burning desire for God that has been set aside for school work. Thanks for all the support and the people that believed I could make it. Maybe I will be called back to this kimchi fast again, but I am not really sure what it would have done for me in the end. I still hate that stuff.

For some reason I kept thinking about all the people I was letting down. But then with the help of my wife I found this verse. I am sure some of you have heard it before. It helps us remember that we must not worry about what others think and strive to please God in all that we do.

"For am I now seeking the favor of men, or of God? Or am I striving to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a bond-servant of Christ."
-Galatians 1:10 (NASB)

12 comments:

  1. I believe in you honey and I 100% know that you could have made it the full 30 days on Kimchi and rice if you wanted to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taylor YOU did make it! You learned the lesson that God placed before you. It's not about withstanding 30 days it's fasting so that awareness comes back. Priorities can get scattered when we keep adding things to our lives and it takes something - sometimes as profound as Kimchi- to sort those things out. That's what Lent is all about doing things that will bring you closer to God. And I would say you did it! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As rewarding as teaching is, it takes A LOT of work... especially when you're not even a teaching major. You will be missed... but good on ya for prioritizing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bro! We love you and I'm sure you won't regret this decision. It makes me sad, though, to think I can never speak with you again :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Taylor!!!! Seriously I know exactly what it means to be a teacher and having to do new lesson plans all the time is a ton of work!! I commend you and Ashley both! Love you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Taylor, THANK YOU for your spirit, insight, perspective, and honesty. I sooo enjoy you and can definitely identify with your educational woes! You and Ashley are always in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the comments. I am actually lesson planning right and things are looking great for this upcoming week! It is sad I will be losing a friend in Pradeepan, but I promise to buy his first comedy cd.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done indeed. Taylor, Korea is a beautiful and unique season in so many of our lives. I am coming to an end of two years here as well and though I am so sad to leave, I am so grateful to see the things God has worked in me in this time. I pray he would show you the same things ... and I thank Him immensely for making you come to your senses and toss out the kimchi!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. At least you've inspired me to try kimchi! (even though i think i'll probably hate it too). I found a Korean restaurant here in KC that's supposed to be good and i'm going to try it soon. I'm glad you're not over-stressing yourself, I too know what it's like to be teaching random subjects in English :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. awww, Tony and I literally just got back from the Korean Garden here in Tulsa b/c he owed me a dinner :) We had dolsot bibimbap and kimbap and tea and kimchi until we couldn't take anymore...we even ordered another plate of kimbap b/c mid-meal our eyes were still bigger than our tummies :)
    I'm proud of you, Taylor. I think finding balance between priorities and ways to appropriate all of you in the places you need to be is key. I think we all vacillate from one extreme to the next at times, but there's just something about finding a balance that gives you peace which is so rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Christians are so weak. You're a let down, and a waste of time. Way to set an example for your students.

    ReplyDelete