Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Day 2: I almost fasted kimchi today


I am not sure, but I think I subconsciously fasted kimchi for two meals today. If you did not realize this yet I am only eating 3 meals a day and those meals must consist of only rice and kimchi. I cannot snack and that has been one of the hardest hurdles thus far (and I am only two days into this).

Back to the fast...

I did not eat breakfast until 10am due to having a 1st period class. I did not hunt down any kimchi I simply ate a bowl of rice. At lunchtime I needed to finish some classwork and lesson planning so I missed that meal. I usually fast my lunch on Wed. and spend time with God, but I think I just made sure I was busy today so I would not think about kimchi. So, I still put work and food above my relationship with God. Crap.

I have told all of my classes about my journey and they have now become my accountability partners. At dinner a few of them came up to me and checked my tray to make sure I was doing everything correctly. One of them said, "Good work Mr. Hankins, just kimchi."


The only time I ate kimchi was by far the worst time of my day, especially because I was really hoping for some decent stuff to eat and it ended up being my least favorite kimchi: cabbage. I took a huge bite out of the cabbage and could barely swallow it because of how cold and sour it was. I really hate that stuff. I decided to make kimchi sandwiches using the rice as the filling and that helped ease the pain. As you can see below Ashley seems to love this stuff! I wonder how much she would love it if it was all she ate for every meal. I am jealous of all the people around me right now with better food to eat.


I am not sure if I will have a chance to teach everyone about kimchi tomorrow, but I will make sure to have a kimchi lesson before week 1 is over.

9 comments:

  1. I've never had kimchi... and the difference in expressions on your faces makes me intent on finding out if i will like it or hate it. I'm guessing I'd like it. Now to find a good asian market around here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing. You are an inspiration and a contender for my favorite blogrimage. Keep strong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, i really respect you for doing such a tough blogrimage Taylor...in fact if you make it you will have my undying respect

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so proud of you, Taylor! Almost through a year of being in SK... I am definitely going to keep reading this blog so I can see how you're doing. Fasting anything when you live in another country is hard, b/c sometimes it seems like you're already fasting your favorite things / comfort foods...at least we did in QHD :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it bad that I find your struggles absolutely hilarious?

    ReplyDelete
  6. come to daegu and eat some kimchi with me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tyler, I think I just might need to take a trip to Daegu for a kimchi dinner...

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, thanks for all the support everyone. Today sucked once again

    ReplyDelete